Saturday, April 17, 2010

Tiling a bathroom

Ripping up the padding that was under the carpet then the tack strips...that was the easy part.
My mom cleaning up all of the dirt under there...my mom cleans up even when you are going to make another mess on top of it...
trying to get the toilet water turned off and carried out.
It was one heavy crapper for me and my dad to carry out into the backyard...and yes we are okies so we sat on it for kicks while it was in the backyard!!!!
Don't let the smile fool you I HATE TILING AND EVERYTHING ASSOCIATED WITH IT!
My mom and I must have laid the tiles out 7 different times...and not because I am picky!
Here we are with all of the mortar laid down and all of the full tiles put in place.
My dad did all of the cutting of tiles and that was a nightmare.........
Yes my mom and I did all of the grout with our fingers the tool we bought didn't work...Shocker!!! That's how the whole project went.
Yes we did that!!!!
I'm impressed...I don't know about you! Then got the baseboards back in. We finally got the toilet back in, but it broke because the ground isn't so level now that it is tile and not carpet! OOPS. so it still isn't totally finished!

So my mom got this great idea to rip up the carpet in her bathroom one night...She got it about a 1/4 of the way ripped up when I walked in there and that is when the nightmare truly began...I will NEVER tile again...I will leave it to the professionals!
Here are pictures from start to finish of our 3 week long tiling process...When we went to Home Depot, me, my mom, my dad, and my three kids the guys at the store kept laughing and saying good luck...They were right!
Here ya go. It looks pretty good considering we had none of the right experience or tools to do this job.

2 comments:

Amy said...

Well I'm impressed! I think it looks awesome! I'm sorry that it ended up being BEYOND stressful but you done did good! :) The pic of mom with the bandana over her face looks like she's coming to rob your bare bathroom or something. ha ha Love the pics of you guys sitting on the toilet outside!

Ashley said...

Eesh, noted. I will not attempt it. But who puts carpet in a bathroom? Tile was definitely the right choice.